Thursday, August 23, 2012

Trust versus Fear...(and an update)

  Today's devotion talked about two things I view as opposites: Trust and Fear.  This is what was in today's reading from Jesus Calling by Sarah Young, p 245:
Trust Me, and don't be afraid.  I want you to view trials as exercises designed to develop your trust-muscles.  You live in the midst of fierce spiritual battles, and fear is one of Satan's favorite weapons.  When you start to feel afraid, affirm your trust in Me...Speak or sing praises to Me...Trust Me, and don't be afraid; for I am your strength, Song, and Salvation. (Isaiah 12:2)
   You know how when someone says, "Trust me," you just know not to trust them?  It's hard to trust someone you've just met or that you don't know very well. ("Oh, I know where she's going with this," you might be thinking..."She's going to preach." Well, maybe just a little.) You have those people in your life that you trust...some to varying degrees based on how long or how well you know them. Some may say, "It's hard for me to trust Jesus." So how well do you know Him? I've been getting to know Him since I was fourteen. It's not been a constant, everyday relationship.  Some times I'm better about intentional time with Him. Looking back, I'd have to say it's been the last 5-7 years that I think I've been pursuing a more intimate relationship with Him. Have I arrived? No. Do I still have some "off days." Yes. I have, however, noticed my "trust-muscles" have gotten a bit stronger and I always have opportunities to develop them even more. You can't get to know Someone unless you spend time with Him.
   Just a bit on fear...One of the things I remember from my youth minister days is part of a lesson about fear.  We used an acronym for fear:  False Evidence Appearing Real. Think about it...some of the things we fear don't come to pass.  Others may come to pass, but, because God is in the mix, He is able to quiet our fears and help us through.  And here's a quote from a friend's Facebook page: "Our future may look fearfully intimidating, yet we can look up to the Engineer of the Universe, confident that nothing escapes His attention or slips out of the control of those strong hands." --Elisabeth Elliot
    So apparently crickets are plentiful several places.  Was talking to a friend today, and she shared about a problem with crickets at he office where she worked.  She said that she was trying to step on this huge cricket and every time she put her foot down, she missed. When the other ladies in the office saw her, not knowing about the cricket, they thought she was dancing. So now...I know a Cricket Dancer. (Oh, she finally got the cricket.  She was convinced that it saw her shadow, so she sneaked up on it and went in from the side without letting her shadow fall across it until she was ready to step.)

Update:
   No headaches! MRI came back clear. Doc said my brain was "normal," but I had to tell her that I had friends that may argue with that assessment. Still waiting for biopsy results. Increased BP meds. Can blow my nose gently now (Hey, it's the little things!). Wonderful visit with a precious friend this morning. Visit with school friend; loved hearing about her new job and school stuff. Enjoying a blingy, pink hat. Sweet friend prayed over me today.  Wonderful Bible study with two incredible ladies. Great visit with Sis. Thankful for my phone so I can have long chats with friends and get encouraging texts and texts from my nephews that make me smile. Appreciate the card and emails; they brighten my day. God continues to be my Rock, my Fortress, my Strong Tower, and my Ever Present Help!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love for you to share. Thanks for checking out Requirements!