Saturday, August 18, 2012

Adversity is Not My Favorite Word (and an update)

   I was not really "pumped" about this morning's devotion.  The first line, "Expect to encounter adversity in your life..." did not make me want to read more, but I did.
...Stop trying to find a way that circumvents difficulties.  The main problem with an easy life is that it masks your need for Me...anticipate coming face to face with impossiblilities: situations totally beyond your ability to handle.  This awareness of your inadequacy is not something you should try to evade.  It is precisely where I want you- the best place to encounter Me in My Glory and Power.  When you see armies of problems marching toward you, cry out to Me! Allow Me to fight for you. Watch Me working on your behalf, as you rest in the shadow of My Almighty Presence. (Jeus Calling by Sarah Young, p.241)
    This devotion reminded me of a part of the book Lies Women Believe by Nancy Leigh DeMoss.
Living an obedient life does spare us from many problems that are the natural consequences of a life lived apart from God and His ways. But that does not mean that those who follow Christ will be exempt from problems...Even those who have been redeemed live in earthyly bodies and have to deal with the realities of temptation, sin (both our own and others'), disease, loss, pain, and death. Becoming a Christian- even being a mature, godly Christian- does not wrap us up in some sort of celestial cocoon where we are immune to pain...But -here's the good news- God is not removed or detached from our problems...the God of the Bible is "a very present help in trouble" (Psalm 46:1KJV).
Found some great scriptures....Psalm 46:10, Psalm 100:5, Psalm 121:1, Psalm 91:1 &2 (Link is to all of 91...it's all good!), and I Corinthians 10:13.
   Definitely need God through this.  Even though I may not be thrilled about this particular segment of my life journey, I am thankful for a God who is by my side. I am thankful for a God whose character never changes. I am thankful for a God who reveals His love through His word, His creation, and His people.
    So on my floor we have a Cricket Wrangler.  Now, the Cricket Wrangler is very similar to a Cricket Hunter, except he doesn't really go on hunts.  He just takes care of the crickets that appear in some of the light fixtures and vents. I had heard about him, but didn't need his services until today when I noticed a couple of dark insects crawling across inside my ceiling light.  He took care of them quickly without harming them. I heard from a nurse that she saw a cricket crawling along the floor board toward the Cricket Wrangler.  I'm thinking he may also be a Cricket Whisperer.

Update:
  Today was definitely a good day. No extra chicken soup or blood needed! Temp stayed down. Very patient tech guy at Apple talked me through moving my iTunes library to my "new" computer (should have been done 3 years ago) and now have my Nano up and running! So blessed with visit from a precious friend and surprise visit from Sis and Nephew. Walked them to the elevators...nephew wore a mask backward;made me smile. Sharing my powdered peanut butter with the nurses. Enjoyed calls, texts, cards, posts, and emails. Continue to rest in the Presence as God remains unchanging and faithful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love for you to share. Thanks for checking out Requirements!