Thursday, August 16, 2012

Still Trying to Stick to a Schedule...(and an update)

   I've been trying to keep up some type of "normal" schedule since I've been in the hospital. I do devotions first, before I get out of bed, then get up and stick to my morning routine (minus the make-up and shower) as closely as possible.  Most days I wash up; I love the days I can "unhook"  for 15 minutes to take a bird bath and change clothes. Today's schedule was disrupted by the headache from the dark side. It started as an 8 and moved to a 57. Couldn't think and couldn't read.  After a bit stronger med I was able to rest and the headache went away.  I was able to do my devotion:

I am the God of all time and all that is. Seek Me not only in morning quietness but consistently throughout the day. Do not let unexpected problems distract you from My Presence. Instead, talk with Me about everything, and watch confidently to see what I will do. Adversity need not interrupt your communion with me. When things go "wrong," you tend to react as if you're being punished. Instead of this negative response, try to view difficulties as blessings in disguise. Make Me your Refuge by pouring out your heart to Me, trusting in Me at all times. (Jesus Calling by Sarah Young, p.238)
One of the scriptures I looked up was Psalm 62:8 (NIV): "Trust in Him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to Him, for god is our refuge. Seriously thought about not doing my devotional this morning...I thought the headache was a good reason to take it easy.  So glad I reconsidered.  Continue to be amazed at our amazing God who knows what we need when we need it and orchestrates the delivery of the blessings.
    So today I got to change clothes and wash up.  I washed my hair....for the last time for a while. My first clue was when I combed it out and it came out in the comb...in chunks.  (Last time, I was able to have lunch with friends, cut my hair short, and have florescent pink highlights put in it before it really started coming out.) I made a call to a sweet friend whose daughter came this afternoon and shaved what was left. Yes, we took pics for the scrapbook. I then let my friends pick out a couple of hats for me to wear at the hospital (and with some cute outfits I'm sure I'll need to get to match.). It was really neat when I was removing the tag from one of the hats and saw that it was made by a church in the town where I teach.  My uncle attends that church...wow, small world. Lovin' the ways God continues to reveal Himself.
   Now a have a duck to put in a row.  Let me explain.  A few weeks ago, in Bible study, I made the comment, "I just want to put all my ducks in a row."  One of my Bible study ladies replied, "Don't you think you should let the One Who made the ducks put them in a row?" Yes, she's well aware of my need to be in control and we all got a chuckle out of that.  So tonight, one of the ladies brought me a duck...so I could put it in a row.  God's blessed me with some pretty amazing friends!
  One more friend story...I have one container of Weight Watchers oatmeal left.  Just as I was thinking about calling a WW buddy about picking up some, she calls me to let me know she's stopping by and wants to know if I need anything.  Again...amazing!

Update:
After waking up with the headache from the dark side, day improved immensely.Early morning visit from teacher friend. Washed my hair for the last time (Just think of all the primping time I'll save!) More platelets. Met two new nurses. (Thought I'd already met them all!) Bible study ladies came and met in my room. Enjoyed calls, texts, cards, and emails. Won a really cute cross bracelet in a Facebook contest. Oh...and tonight was baked cod!!! Had a nice long conversation with my bestest friend. God continues to be my strength, refuge, and unchangeable rock!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Edwina for continuing to share your weaknesses and your joys. For someone who loves the Lord, there will be hard times but never scary times. Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete

Would love for you to share. Thanks for checking out Requirements!