Saturday, August 11, 2012

Today's Word: Love (and an update)

   When I first started reading today's devotional, I have to admit, I was thinking ..."Come to Me? Really...I'm pretty much a captive audience." (For some reason I was sportin' a bit of attitude this morning.) but then I read:
When your heart and mind are quiet, you can hear Me inviting you to draw near.  Coming close to Me requires no great effort on your part;  it is more like ceasing to resist the magnetic pull of My Love.  Open yourself to My loving Presence, so that I may fill you with My fullness...This vast ocean of Love cannot be measured or explained, but it can be experienced. (Jesus Calling by Sarah Young, p. 234)
   In Ephesians 3:16-19, Paul talks about knowing how wide, long, high, and deep is the love of Christ.  While I was sitting quietly, a song came to mind. It was the David Crowder Band's " How He Loves."  Some of the phrases that kept going through my mind were "He loves like a hurricane,"afflictions eclipsed by glory," "If grace is an ocean we're all sinking," and  I don't have time to maintain these when I think about how He loves us."

   Sometimes we all need to take time just to be in God's loving presence and rest, knowing that His love is beyond measure.  Sometimes it's hard for me to rest and let God just love on me.  That's an experience I want to repeat again and again.
    The LOVE continues...People ask if I have any restrictions on visitors.  Not really...to visit you have to be healthy and not bring in any fresh fruits, veggies, or flowers.  I was just thinking today about the visitors.  I'm amazed at how I know people from so many venues....family (that's a given), church, missions, high school, job, volunteer work, etc.  Equally amazing is their outpouring of love in the forms quality time, acts of service, words of affirmation, receiving gifts, and physical touch (toe hugs!)...what Gary Chapman talks about in his book, The 5 Love Languages.   Being loved by God and watching His love being exhibited in so many ways creates a humble, grateful heart.                                 

Update:
   Another good day!  No transfusions.  Cheeseburger (no lettuce, no tomatoes, etc.) and chips for lunch and enjoyed a piece of piece of cheesecake this evening.  Was excited to get to change clothes today, but had to change clothes a second time due to my inability to open a small container of pineapple. Enjoyed visits, card, emails, texts, and calls. Still feeling like a bit of a slacker, but so thankful that side effects were not as scary as I was told.  Praising God for his constant provision, healing, and wholeness.

1 comment:

  1. Edwina, when reading the excerpt from the devotion. The last line, "This vast ocean of Love cannot be measured or explained, but it can be experienced," reminded me of Ephesians 3:19 where that last part of Paul's prayer is for them "to know this love that surpasses knowledge." I always like to think about "how can you know something that surpasses or is beyond being known?" And for me the answer is, by experiencing it. Knowing God's love isn't really something we can intellectualize -- or know in our heads. It is something that we can only truly know by experiencing it.

    -- Brian Mangan

    ReplyDelete

Would love for you to share. Thanks for checking out Requirements!