Sunday, September 2, 2012

A Glorious Adventure...(and an update)

    Today, instead of telling the devotion from Jesus Calling by Sarah Young then commenting, I'm going to tell the devotion in pieces and comment as I go.  Had lots of things I thought about during the devotion! (I don’t like to read long blog posts, but sometimes I make exceptions.  Hopefully you will, too.)
My Favorite Adventure!

   "Living in dependence on Me is a glorious adventure.  Most people scurry around busily, trying to accomplish things through their own strength and ability.  Some succeed enormously; others fail miserably.  But both groups miss what life is meant to be: living and working in collaboration with Me."
   It's interesting, in my first post about this whole leukemia thing (Cancer Round Two!) I referred to this journey as an adventure. At the time, I didn’t see it as a “glorious” adventure. Now, looking back, I can see how it has been a glorious adventure.  In the Bible study I’m in on Wednesday night, we’ve been studying II Corinthians.  One of the things from that, in Chapter 1, verses 3-5, I've learned (again...remember this from the first go-round) is that God comes along side us when we go through adversity, then we are able to come along side others and comfort them because of what we go through. I’ve received emails from people who have read posts that God has used to bless them.  I was writing to work my way through this “adventure” and draw closer to God; God is taking what's been helping me to manage the adventure and using it for His good.  I learned that a lot of times I try to accomplish things through my own ability.  I’m reminded that I need to live and work in collaboration with God.  This reminds me of a study I was in several years ago (Experiencing God by Henry Blackaby) and a phrase that I’m reminded of often: “See where God’s at work and join Him.”
   “When you depend on Me continually, your whole perspective changes.  You see miracles happening all around, while others see only natural occurrences and “coincidences. You begin each day with joyful expectation, watching to see what I will do.”
   The good news is I think I’ve been learning to depend on God more and more over the years since I’ve been more and more in His Word.  I have noticed my perspective has changed little by little.  As a teacher, I’ve been able to pray through some pretty challenging situations and God has let me see students through His eyes of love and has done some miraculous things.  Finding this leukemia through a routine blood test during my last six month check-up from breast cancer was no coincidence…it was a “God”incidence! As Dr. B said, “It was God thing.”  I’m working on beginning each day with joyful expectation…joy seems to be my theme lately and I’m lovin’ it!
   “You accept weakness as a gift from me, knowing that My Power plugs in most readily to consecrated weakness.  You keep your plans tentative, knowing that My plans are far superior.  You consciously live, move, and have your being in Me, desiring that I live in you.  I in you and you in Me.  This is the intimate adventure I offer you.” (Acts 17:28, John 14:20-21)
   Still working on the weakness thing. (See the post My Natural Preference from August 31st.) I find I am learning to keep my plans tentative.  You see, the thing that upset me initially when I got the call from Dr. B was this was going to wreck all the plans I had for the following week.  I was suppose to substitute for a friend in WW meetings, so I would have to get a subs for her meetings and my regular meetings.  I’d plan to clean out a file cabinet at school and get rid of it. I had plans to have lunch with friends, something we do every year.  Yes, my plans…not God’s plans.  Also learned I don’t have to understand. I have been told I plan too much and don’t give God room to work.  I always replied, “I’m making plans, but God can always change them.”  Didn’t realize how true that was! 
   This morning I started to catch up on the sermons I’ve missed over the last few weeks. (Still not suppose to attend church, but have permission to make it to Sunday School.) The one I listened to this morning (the one from the Sunday I went into the hospital) was perfect for me today.  It was “Worry to Trust” by Dr. Craig Shaw.  It’s about twenty-five minutes long and worth listening to. Go to rejoicechurch.podbean.com and scroll down to it.  Yes, God’s plans are superior to mine.  I don’t want to do it my way; I want to do it His way.  This is a daily learning experience for me.  I want to have the intimate adventure that consists of me living, moving, and having my being in Him.

Update:
   I've been home from the hospital a whole week and have two more weeks until the next phase of treatments.  Still get tired easy, but have been doing a little exercise (Dr. B said it was okay.). Did laundry today...love doing the "ordinary" things. Blood pressure still good.  God continues to be faithful and work His plans!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love for you to share. Thanks for checking out Requirements!