Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Chemo Brain

   When I started this go-round of treatment my oncologist said I might have some problems with memory and possible say some things that might not make sense.  My sis and I laughed and wondered how we would be able to tell what was chemo related and what was my normal self or what was simply me getting older. Okay...I think I can tell.
   It's normal for me to walk into a room and forget why I went there to start with.  It's always been difficult for me to remember the names of three classes of students so I have to work hard to put names with faces.  In my girls small group at church I took pics of the twelve girls holding cards with their names. I've always felt it was important to know names. Sometimes I put things in a safe place and then forget the location of the safe place.
   Now, I find I'll be talking and put a word in a sentence that totally doesn't fit in the sentence.  The word may start with the same sound and possibly end with the sound of the word I want to use, but it is not the right word.  Sometimes I loose the word completely.  [Last time my sis would grin and say, "We're playing the guessing game, aren't we?"]
    Most times I can describe the word I want to use. This afternoon in Bible study I was talking about a memory when I was younger (Yay...I could remember!) and I couldn't remember a word I wanted to use, but could describe it. "It's two wooden sticks with ice stuff on them." Both ladies in my study guessed correctly: a popsicle.
   I made a phone call the other day and couldn't remember why I called. The secretary was very sweet and waited patiently.  I remember why I called, but couldn't remember the name of the person (who I've known for several years) I wanted to talk to.  I was able to describe the person and the secretary knew exactly who I meant. Bless her heart for being so understanding!
  I love my family and friends who are helping me deal with some of the craziness that goes along with the chemo.  I thank God for the people He's placed in my life to help me on this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love for you to share. Thanks for checking out Requirements!