Tuesday, September 4, 2012

More Great Imagery

  After today's devotion, I was reminded of a couple of childhood memories, a mission trip, a song (Sometimes I tend to think in songs.), and a video about Genesis 3 from a dear friend.  So to start, I'm going to do things a bit upside down.  I'm starting with the end of today's devotion from Jesus Calling by Sarah Young.
When you commune with Me in the garden of your heart, both you and I are blessed.  This is My way of living in the world-through you!  Together we will push back the darkness for I am the Light of the world. (John 8:12)
  Love the image of a garden.  (Yes, part of the devotion concerns "The Garden," but stick with me through my trip down memory lane.) I remember when I was really young...like maybe five years old...and would "help" my uncle in his garden.  I'm not sure how much help I was, but I loved hanging out with him in the garden.  Growing up, my mom and I had a flower bed, usually around the side of the house where my dad had fixed a place for us.  I remember having marigolds, snapdragons, and zinnias. Planting the seeds with Mom is a special memory.  When I read the imagery of "the garden of your heart" and remembered my garden experiences, I was drawn closer to God.
  The rest of the devotion and my comments throughout:
   "In closeness to Me, you are safe.  In the intimacy of My Presence, you are energized.  No matter where you are in the world, you know you belong when you sense My nearness." This reminded me of a mission trip to Tonga (little island near New Zealand).  Went there to work on the Mango Tree Project for handicapped kids.  Remember one particular evening when my world became much smaller.  We were gathered with our group from the U.S. and with our Tongan brothers and sisters. It wasn't a planned service, but someone had a guitar and we sang.  God's sweet spirit fell over our group and I remember thinking, "I'm on the other side of the world, but I'm with family." I can't describe the feeling...I knew God was there, just as He is here and where ever I am. Another scripture for the devotion was Psalm 32:7...love The Message version: "God's my island hideaway,  keeps danger far from the shore, throws garlands of hosannas around my neck."
   "Ever since the Fall, man has experienced a gaping emptiness that only My Presence can fill.  I designed you for close communication with your Creator." Here's where the song comes in..."God-Shaped Hole" by Plumb (The video for this song is awesome!):

       "How I enjoyed waling in the garden with Adam and Eve, before the evil one deceived them!" Okay, time for a short Bible lesson.  Shame-Blame-Flame.  Saw this video a friend did on Genesis 3 the other day and when I read this devotion, I knew it was a great fit.  Enjoy!
   I think one thing I learned from today's devotion is that sometimes God brings to mind things we've already experienced or we already know to remind us of His closeness and His desire for us to be closer to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love for you to share. Thanks for checking out Requirements!