Friday, September 7, 2012

A Warrior's Heart

   According to Webster's a warrior is "a person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill."  The Free Online Dictionary defines a warrior as "one who is engaged aggressively or energetically in an activity, cause, or conflict." In the last few days I've describe some people as having a "warrior's heart." I'm going to try to explain what I mean by that.
   When I first hear the word "warrior," a knight in shining armor comes to mind and then I think about Ephesians 6:10-18 and the armor of God. It's interesting to note that of all the parts of armor mentioned are for defense except one...the Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God. Sounds like preparation might be in order...to be skilled in using the Sword you must be familiar with it and how it is used (Study God's word so you'll be able to have the courage and skill to face what you must face.)
   I also think of a song from a long time ago sung by Steve Camp..."Run to the Battle."  You can find a few Youtube videos, but the sound quality isn't that good. (I have it on my iPod from iTunes.) My favorite lyrics in the song are "Some people want to live within the sound of chapel bells.  I want to run a mission a yard from the gates of Hell." Sounds like fighting words, huh? I'm not endorsing picking fights; I am saying hold your ground and do what you need to do to be aggressively or energetically engaged.
  I also think of all of the men and women in the service all over the world who are fighting to secure our freedom and to help those who are trying to be free. (No this will not be a discussion about the pros and cons of war...will not go there here, but will be glad to tell you what I think if you really want to hear it in person.) I don't know what it's like to to engage in armed conflict. I can't imagine being away family and friends in some of the worse conditions imaginable. You can see a warrior's heart when one falls on a grenade so the other three guys with him have a chance to live.  You see a warrior's heart when one takes time to play ball with the village kids. You can see a warrior's heart in his eyes when he sees his daughter for the first time on Skype. 
   When I think of a warrior's heart, I think about Jesus.  I think about how He went to the temple and turned over the tables and ran out the moneychangers (Mark 11:15-17). I remember doing a Bible study about this and learning that the tables that were used were probably marble and six to eight feet long, three inches thick and maybe three or four feet wide. Jesus was no wimp...those were heavy tables. This same Jesus was the one who was upset with the disciples for not letting the children come to Him (Luke 18:15-16) and who was so kind and compassionate to the woman at the well (John 4:1-26).
    When I think of a warrior's heart, I think of courage, determination, skill, compassion, kindness, tenacity, bravery, and so much more.  I believe a warrior's heart beats inside of those who have known adversity and still fight and help others fight. Christian author Diann Hunt has a warrior's heart.  You can read her story told by Christian author Colleen Coble..."Facing the Dragon". Laura, a young woman just starting college, has a warriors heart. Read her latest blog post..."The Journey-Even Here." My sweet friend G had a warrior's heart.  Read about her in my blog post "G". 
    I've seen a warrior's heart in a young girl in the projects of Washington D.C. who was determined her daughter would have a better life and would always be safe.  I've seen a warrior's heart in a young boy living on the streets of Estonia who cared for his little brother and made sure he was safe.  I've seen a warrior's heart in Sister Sue, a petite older lady in the Watts area of D.C. go toe to toe with a someone to keep kids and her neighborhood safe. I've seen warriors' hearts in the pastors and laity of villages in Belize who work to build God's kingdom. I've seen warriors' hearts in moms, dads, grandmothers, grandfathers,friends and others who pray for their children, grandchildren, friends, and people they don't even know. 
   So next time you pass someone on the street, or sit next to them in a sports arena, or wait in line at the grocery story, remember: you never know what's going on in their lives. In that person's chest may beat the heart of a warrior! 
                                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love for you to share. Thanks for checking out Requirements!