Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Wellspring of Life

I visited my dad at the hospital today.  He was doing much better since his blood transfusion on Monday.  I've been posting updates on his progress on my facebook page.  Tonight, one of my cousins posted a very encouraging comment and I wanted to share part of it.  She wrote "He knows you, you're part of him and the heart never forgets no matter what the brain says!"  Dad has Alzheimer's.  Most of the time he doesn't remember who I am or thinks I'm one of his sisters.  Tonight when I asked him if he needed anything he responded, "Just you."  I asked, "Who am I?" He replied, "You're you!" I said, "You're right! I always have been!" I know he's still "Dad" in his heart.  I really appreciated my cousin's post.  It brought to mind a verse I remember studying several years ago.  It is Proverbs 4:23, from the New International Version. "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."  Dad is confused a lot and sometimes what he says may not make sense, but I know his wellspring is still flowing.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful application of that verse, presented differently than the typical what comes out your mouth or your actions is a reflection of what's in your heart. Thank you for sharing a new perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like thinking of it that way too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Would love for you to share. Thanks for checking out Requirements!