Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Council of Dads

   A couple of days ago I started reading A Council of Dads by Bruce Feiler.  I've actually had the book in my possession for two weeks, but have delayed starting it because I knew it wouldn't be like any of Feiler's other books that I've already read (Walking the Bible, Abraham, and Where God was Born).  This book would be sad.  Bruce Feiler was diagnosed with cancer. (I am a cancer survivor, so I can relate to some of his thoughts and emotions.) This book tells of his journey with his wife and twin girls as they deal with the diagnosis and how he chooses men from different times in his life that can be his voice should he not be around to raise his girls.  The book is only 240 pages long.  I could read that in just a few hours. WRONG. As of now, I've only read five chapters.  Five very emotional, inspiring chapters.  When I read fiction, I read rapidly and usually can finish a book or two a week if I have a chance to read in the evenings.  This is not a quick read.  It is a book to be read carefully and thoughtfully.  I have nineteen more chapters to go.  I'm not sure how long it will take me to finish, but I look forward to the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love for you to share. Thanks for checking out Requirements!