Saturday, January 12, 2013

Remember Not to Forget



   I've been forgetting a lot lately. I will be talking and in the middle of a sentence totally lose the word I want to use. I usually am able to describe the word I want and my friends are becoming good at playing guessing games. It's really frustrating because I know I'm doing it; I am thankful it isn't permanent. It's a lovely irritation known as "chemo brain." Some of my friends have been exhibiting some of the symptoms...I'm thinking they are having "sympathy chemo brain." (Wow, that could be a study!)
  I had to smile this week when I saw the title of one of my devotions, "Don't Forget." I thought, "That's easier said than done." The scripture for the passage was Numbers 9:1-23, where God gives instruction on how to celebrate Passover to remember all God orchestrated to bring the children of Israel out of bondage in Egypt and into the Promised Land. This act of celebrating Passover served to "jog" their memory...help them to remember not to forget.
   "As humans, we are forgetful people, and as forgetful people we need tangible reminders- symbols- of who God is and what He's done." (Eugene Peterson, The Message//Remix: Solo An Uncommon Devotional) Yes, I resemble that remark. The devotion goes on to suggest you create symbol to remind you of God's faithfulness.
   I got to thinking, I already employ that method. I haven't really "made" symbols, but have picked them up or received them as gifts. Not only do I use these symbols to remind me of God's faithfulness, but to remember specific prayer requests. Here are some of my "symbols" and their meanings:
  • Hope Trinity Cross necklace (3 parts that form 1 cross)-the certainty of God's promises
  • Star of David with a cross in the center-God's covenants and the fulness of the New Covenant completed in Christ
  • Silver Survivor Ribbon- God's faithfulness as I survived breast cancer and will survive leukemia 
  • Puzzle piece (from camp)- I am a piece of God's grand design; I have a purpose.
  • Rock from the shore of the Baltic Sea- Pray for Estonia: Camp Gideon and The Lighthouse
  • A rock from Mable Ha Creek, Belize- Pray for the pastors, churches, Sunday schools and  people of Belize
  •  A piece of barbed wire- Pray for my brothers and sisters of the suffering church
   Okay, I didn't realize I used so many memory aids. I'm glad I do remember all these things and more,  because each of these memories are an important part of who I am and  am becoming.
   What are some of the symbols you use to remind you of God's faithfulness and provision?
   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love for you to share. Thanks for checking out Requirements!